By John L. Hennessy, David A. Patterson
"Once in a good whereas, a landmark computer-science e-book is released. computing device structure: A Quantitative method, moment version, is the sort of e-book. In an period of fluff laptop books which are, particularly accurately, remaindered inside of weeks of book, this booklet will stand the try of time, turning into lovingly dog-eared within the fingers of an individual who designs pcs or has matters concerning the functionality of desktop programs.
" - Robert Bernecky, Dr. Dobb's Journal, April 1998
Computer structure: A Quantitative Approach was once the 1st booklet to target machine structure as a latest technological know-how. Its e-book in 1990 encouraged a brand new method of learning and realizing laptop layout. Now, the second one variation explores the following iteration of architectures and layout concepts with view to the future.
A foundation for contemporary desktop architecture
As the authors clarify of their preface to the second one variation, desktop structure itself has gone through major switch due to the fact that 1990. targeting at present foremost and rising advertisement platforms, the Hennessy and Patterson have ready completely new chapters masking extra complex topics:
* Advanced Pipelining: A new bankruptcy emphasizes superscalar and a number of issues.
* Networks: A new bankruptcy examines intensive the layout matters for small and massive shared-memory multiprocessors.
* Storage platforms: Expanded presentation comprises assurance of I/O functionality measures.
* Memory: Expanded insurance of caches and memory-hierarchy layout addresses modern layout issues.
* Examples and workouts: Completely revised on present architectures resembling MIPS R4000, Intel 80x86 and Pentium, PowerPC, and HP PA-RISC.
This ebook keeps the fashion of the 1st version, with revised sections on Fallacies and Pitfalls, placing all of it jointly and old standpoint, and comprises fullyyt new sections on Crosscutting matters. the point of interest on primary strategies for designing genuine machines and the eye to maximizing cost/performance are the most important to either scholars and dealing execs. someone thinking about development pcs, from palmtops to supercomputers, will take advantage of the services provided via Hennessy and Patterson.